Page 4 of 4
Types of Minority Groups
- Groups who are classified according to obvious physical characteristics, e.g. skin color
- US Racial Minority Groups: Blacks, American Indian, Asian Americans, Hawaiians
- Groups who are differentiated on the basis of culture such as language, food
- US Ethnic Minority Groups: Hispanics or Latinos such as Chicanos, Puerto Ricans, Cuban; Jews are also consider cultural minorities instead of religious minorities.
- Racial groups can also so have distinctive cultural traditions
- Note: Ethnic minority can be either black or white or Asian American or Native American. So that a person can be both Black and Hispanic
- Males are a social majority; women demonstrate four out of five characteristics of minority status
- Groups who have a religion other than the dominant faith.
- US Religious minorities - Muslims, Amish, Mormons, Roman Catholics
Become a Patron!